Thursday, April 8, 2010

so long so very very long

Longest Four Pages, Ever!
This week consisted of two due readings. While one had an interesting history of the alphabet, the other could not have been more of a drag. Four pages of measuring was not only one of the dullest subjects I have ever read, it was difficult trying to pay attention to. Much less understand it. Though I do understand in the field of graphic design, precision is crucial in most situations, I still could not completely process most of the information. Picas and points, are just something I take for granted, especially because I am spoiled by technology, which does most of the work for me (Yes I am shamelessly admitting it).

I still do not have an appreciation for letters and their form. I know they can be just as powerful as images on canvas, I still have yet to understand this concept. Therefore When I sat down to read about picas and points, and how they are use to measure length and space of a letters, I could not have been more asleep. It felt like I was reading a math book, in the sense that I had no idea what it was saying. Especially when it got to the part of measuring the type. I did however understood why this was done. Before printing was on a keyboard, it was done on printing blocks. the challenge was to make the print readable for a general public, and not making it too heavy. therefore a good eye, steady hands, and a precise measurement, is key in print design. Lining space was also something i struggle with to understand. Lining space seems to deal with the space between the sentence. they measure from the baseline, and seems to be very important topic to understand. when working with type, the space between sentence must not only be appealing, but readable. So you can guess, that some client are going to be particular about lining.

Well this midweek's reading may not have been one of my most favorite, or even tolerable topics, but who said they all would be. An instructor had warn me not to long ago, that you will not always like what you must read. You can fight it all you like, but you will still have to do it. Well I still have a lot of reading ahead of me, and a lot to learn about type. lets just hope I can do more than just stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment