Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 1 on volteer duty

Yesterday was the first day as a volunteer in the south LA animal services.
It started out very cheery,if not nervous. I signed in and my supervisor gave me an empty plastic name label. You know its official when your wearing a tag that you made yourself attached to a red tank-top that anyone could be wearing. My first assignment was having to separate newspapers. it may not make any sense at first but hey, puppies and dogs have to pee. We sorted the pile we had out, and went back for more only to find out that we had quickly ran out. Next thing you know, my supervisor is asking us to donate newspapers (Which I ask of you to do the same out of the goodness of your heart).

After dropping off the few newspapers, We were asked to bring the blankets for the puppies and kittens to have them folded for their cages. After that, my next task still didn't involve directly dealing with animals, but still any little bit helps I said to myself. Me and a group of other girls were asked to tidy up the volunteer and employee Lodge. The room was filled with with so much things, pile of recyclables, papers, cages, boxes and god only knows what else. after setting up a box filled with clipboard, I focus on the closet that contain supplies for puppies. I had to empty out the entire closet before i could even organize it. i was so glad i worked previously in a gallery. it so much easier cleaning out junk when you have experience in a much bigger job. after clearing disinfecting and organizing the closet, we were finally done, and my first job that deal ed with animals directly began.

my first job, and under supervision, was to clean the small dog cages. I suppose its what every beginner has to do, but I'm not complaining. though i didn't think it was going to be so complex. For starters, every time I clean out a new cage or handle a new dog, I had to change gloves. I put on a new pair of gloves, get the dog to trust me, take him out, put him in an empty cage, clean out the cage, put news paper put the dog back, take off the gloves, wash my hands, put on new gloves, clean out the empty cage, throw out the gloves, wash my hands, out new gloves, and do the whole thing all over again. It was tidious work and for a moment, I felt what it was like to have OCD. Still it was worth it. At least the dogs had a clean place, until they go to the bath room again, that is.

After I cleaned up, I headed to lunch, feeling like I accomplished a lot. I honestly felt like I made a difference, but the day was not over yet. As soon as I finish lunch, I headed to the Kennels, where a mom and her kids were looking for adoption. They didn't spoke English so I was on my own when it came to telling her everything I knew, which meant it put a strain on my nerves. They said that they were going to adopt a little dog name bubbles. she took one look at her, and though she was cute, but as soon as I told her the price, she wasn't so sure. To be frank its not that bad. For 117$, she could have had the dog, plus have her spayed, vaccinated, licenced, microchip, and a 3-business-day period to take it to the vet of your choice and well cover the exam. I think its worth it. Especially if it means taking a dog out of the shelter and into a new home. Still she was not convince, and when she asked if it was healthy, I told her that the dog had kennel cough (the common cold). this may not seem like the best thing to say, but the minute they find something wrong with the dog, then they blame us and accuse us of not informing them completely. Dealing with homeless animals, often means having to be completely honest. after words, she decided not to take bubbles, which I felt it was my fault. i felt bad that bubbles wasn't taken home, I'm sure she thought the same. I showed her a few more dogs. There was a couple of dogs that caught her interest, but ultimately she decided not to adopt any dogs. Her kids left disappointment, and i think a couple of dogs were too.

I left the shelter and went home. even after a shower, the scent of dog still lingered in my nose, and the faces of those dogs still flashes in my mind. It was really hard to sleep last night, and I suspect all nights will be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment