This week's reading covered three areas of graphic design that are considerable to look for in the job market. It covered the book, music, and information fields. As I sat in my chair i was excited to learn about these fields, but as I read on I felt like I was entering uncharted waters. Each job proves to be most confusing than the next, and I found myself a little pessimistic about them.
In the book design, are split up into two different practices, and not all companies practice both of them. it is split into interior and jacket design. neither practice is simple, and have very little in common with one another. Further more, not all of them are designed by graphic designers. Sometimes companies would hire freelancer to put in charge of the design. in addition to the competition, marketing can also be an obstacle for designers. It is not enough for a book to be eye pleasing, they have to be able to sell. Marketing may not know what creativity, but it knows what sells. There must be a satisfaction for both worlds in order for the book to be successful. I honestly found myself intimidate by a book, something that i may find myself working on in the future. I am unsure if this is a field i can work in, and I have yet to prove myself on this long and graphic journey that I'm taking.
The music Business, as we know, is no walk in the park, and its art department is no exception. Designers are responsible for typography and imagery, and are limited to the size of a CD case. Like in book design, marketing dictates the development. Even if the art director approve, marketing can still say no if they believe it still wont sell. Sort of like the process of how a law is made. In addition, the artist (musician) themselves influence the design of the CD. This depends on how big a star the artist is. If that is the case they can not only chose who to give the job to, but possibly supervise the entire process of the development. As designer, one must not only be artistically skilled and have a love for music, but also be flexible. Balancing between artistic style, music style, musicians' drama and marketing drama, can be a strain on graphic designers. Nevertheless, a graphic designer must take on the project with confidence and pride, and pray that it wont be the one that gets them committed.
The last area that was covered was the information design. It covers pictorial sign symbol, which is what comes up with the signs to guide you to the right bathroom. This particular field chooses utility and function over creative design. Do not be mistaken, there is plenty of room for creativity, so long as the the work is informative. Sadly, that is as far as i was capable of understanding. After this reading I find myself intimidated more than ever. For every passage I read, I feel that limits tightening on me. I can only pray that with time I get wiser and a little stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment