This week's reading covered three more branches of graphic design: The hardcore advertising profession, the innovative enviormental field, and the more welcoming web design vocation. As you can guess, each one is different, and offer a different role of creativity and opportunity. As new designers, we need to be open to the possibilities that is offer. However, to learn more about the possible fields can help a new designer find his or her way in this demanding field.
The advertising business is what most people think about when they hear the words graphic design, and yet they do not take into account the intensity behind ads. To work in the advertising, designers must be willing to bare with the intense competition and uncertainty of the industry. For starters, creativity orbits around money. It takes money to make money, and the loss of a client can be especially painful for employees, if not to the whole company. Furthermore, designer's depend on the strength of their portfolio in order to get another job. Majority of the time they get hire by the rival companies, though nothing is for certain. When I finish reading this section, I cried. For a moment, I had no future. I quickly stopped when I came to the realization that this was only one option.
The next section covered enviormental design. when I first read the title of the section, I immediately thought of working with plants. How wrong I was. Enviormental design gets involved in a wide ranged of design activities of billboard and map displays. This field in fuses function and creativity in order to deliver information. this practice is more elaborated than slapping a label on a map, and hope that the tourist at the zoo will find their way around the monkey cage. Designers in this profession need to create designs that can be easy to read for the majority of the audience. Not everyone reads the same, and everyone process information differently. It is an enviormental designer's job to create something functional and creating in order to guide the general public, and people like me who can bearly read.
The final section explored the web design field. Out all the fields that I so far have covered in this text, this seems to be the most welcoming of new designers. while anyone, from children to amature adults, can design a web page. Being good or not, is another question. web page design requires skills to appeal to an audience, but it also helps to know the software from the inside out. On the one hand, since every business needs a web page, graphic designers of different talents and styles can try to find work in for any company, though being flexible helps to find more job opportunities and a stronger portfolio. In addition, web design hires hundreds of interns, which makes it a good opportunity to begin a career.
This weeks reading gave me some new insights on the career path that I am on. While I am still expanding my educational horizons, I am fill with pessimistic feelings and and few drops of hope. As usual I hoping that what does not kill me can only make me stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment