Wednesday, March 17, 2010

lost blogs

This blog contains reviews that were not posted after they were writter.
Enjoy!

March 1st
This week's reading material focused on large firms and its insight. I found my self reading this one minute, and then drifting off the next. While I am sure that large firms are a lot more thrilling and complex than the book makes it out to be, I can honestly say that I am not too excited about it. The material did not provided as much information as it did in the other readings, and seem much more stale as a result. What I have learn from this section, is that every single one of them started out small, Just like any designers.
Large firms can, suprisingly, come in different sizes. Some can have as few as fifteen staff members, while others can have hundreds. Some can be domestic while others have offices in different cities. This of course depends on the founder(s) of the firm, and their ambition. IT who design the identity of the company and establishes its philosophy. Though large firms do not usually specialize, they can focus on how to best serve their clients. The nourishment of a firm, small , medium, or large, rest heavily on the clients. Therefore, most firms will bend over backwards for the satisfaction of their clients. In addition to the founders and the clients, the staff members are the the firms legs and foundation, without their contribute, the firm will fall and not go anywhere.
All firms, regardless sizes, are formed and function the same way. They are all founded by someone who prefer design over the business, and therefore will hire a number of people based on talent. No design business has ever been started without having a steady list of clients. All businesses however started out small, and their success do not happen over night. With years of hardship and endurance, any firm can become a success.

March 8th
This weeks reading material was over two sections long and rather difficult for me to process, and having it during finals week was no help. This week's reading was split between a brief history of graphic design and education. Two subjects, in which I have so much to learn. While most earlier designers made history with no higher educational background, students, such as I, must keep an open mind on these topics if we want to expand our learning and understanding of this field. Though they may not really make you a better designer.

Granted that knowing who came up with the term "graphic Design" is trivial (W.A. Dwiggins: letterer, calligrapher, advertising designer), but understanding its history can add more appreciation, not create a broader perspective. During the 1930s most designers were involved in package product, and industry design, which gave them the title "designers for industry". As time went on, design firms began developing, and designer began calling themselves a series of titles, such as visual consultant, visual communicator, ect. In addition, cross discipline came about. Cross discipline refers, to my understanding, to combining graphic design with another discipline, like interior design. Unfortunately, most Clients prefer a one stop shop for their designing needs, and if a designer can not provide a solution in various methods, they will move on. This small amount of history, has brought about a significant piece of knowledge: To be successful in this field, you have to be versatile, and apparently that is not limited to just style.

The next section that was discussed was Education. Most earlier designers did not pursue higher education, but rather took a "learn on the job" approach. Now a days, that's rare. Most designers the educational approach, though its not mean that they will become successful later on. One has to keep in mind that only a handful of people have a talent for design, and school will not give it to you. School helps you in building the foundation for a career. It educates and guides students to the graphic design program, but it is they who must provide the passion, visualization, and perspective. Let's Face it, schools not cheap, and before you even think about becoming a designer, ask your self: Is this what I want?"

As I mentioned these two sections were rather long, and as such made id difficult for me to process a lot of information. However, I did learn a few things, mostly because I hear them on a regular bases. I'm not the self taught type of person, and that i tend to pick thing up better when someone teaches them to me. If that is the case, then I made the right choice in going to school. Now all i have to do is learn well and survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment