Monday, February 22, 2010

reflection#7

This weeks reading material had surprising very convenient timing. It covered both design business and partnerships in the designing field. What makes this so convenient is that it tied with our poster assignments. Since our assignments was to design an 18x24 poster, it required us to search for a source outside of school that can print our poster, which meant exploring designing business. Most designers usully begin their own business because they crave challenges, presonal growth, and creative freedom. In addition, the material also covered partnerships, as a method of easing into the designing business.
while owning your own businesss can be an exciting chapter in a designers life, its often full of challenges. It is very rare for young and fresh out of school designers to start a business and make it successful. This is because this business demands several factors in order to pay off. Most designers usually work in firms and learning how studios are successfully run before desiding to spread their wings and fly solo. In addition to experience, clients are vital, and every business, no matter what size, need clients. Developing regular clients can be difficult if your just fresh out of school, and have yet to make an image of yourself. Another essential elemet is referrals. If a client does not have a big enough budget, or his or her designing needs are not met, they will often "referred" to another studio that can meet their needs within a budget. It is important for designers to have a good relationship with bosses or other designers in order to benefit from this method. while I was searching for a place to print my assignments, I found myself being referred to someone else business. I learn something else that the book does not mention. Being referred has its downfall. By which I mean, who refers you is vital. in one of the shops i visited, they could not meet my needs, and when they referred me to someone else, they were completely oblivious to any vital information, like directions or the name of the shop. I did not had time to put the pieces together, so I moved on to another store. I learned that even when your running your business, design will always depend on your connections.
The next section my materials covered was partnerships. This usually consist of two or more people who work together in order to ease into the designing business. Partnerships are often build on relationships that have common interest, such as friends, coworkers, and even intimate relationships. The key to making it work is balancing the work load, Each of the members must have equal share of the responsibilities, and different essential skills. Business can become more successfully when partners work together as oppose to an individual. However, it is foolish to assume that this method is fool proof. Business between partners should be handled like a relationship. If there is issues between partners then they must be addressed. other wise it will not only be a burden to the business, but it will also put a strain on the relationship. I Know this first Hand. Before I was a graphic design major, I was an animation major. Among my friends, there was another animation major, and we agree to make a comic together. At first it went smoothly. We had great ideas, had a story line, and a strong sense of the characters. As time went on, things took a turn for the worst. Our creative differences, got the better of us. Eventually, our idea for our mic died, and sadly our relationship was never the same. To this day we do not speak.
Both these options have given me a small amount of hope and thrive. I cannot say that I want to open my own shop, or get into business with someone. what I can say, that perhaps going into a small firm or studio can be something to look into. I notice that I am more drawn to a close working environment. Small might be a good start for me to begin my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment