Monday, November 30, 2009

Lie to Me

Today's class was an interesting one. We engaged in the fine arts of storytelling and lying. In the field of graphic design, presentation is as important your design. Whether or not your design is strong or not, you have to be able to sell your idea and design to your audience. If that means exercising the fine art of storytelling or lying. Either way, be sure to do it well.
In class we did two exercise. The first one was a game of truth and lie. Each of us had to tell two truths and one lies. This exercise was a two way system. The speaker tells his or her truths and lie, while the audience tries to tell them apart. This challenging job required our judgement, self awareness and observational skills. The ability to when we are lying, and when we are lied to, consist of being able to tell fiction from reality, being aware of the lies, as well as the physical reaction from lying.
Some students were able to fool us well, while some needed more practice being in the spotlight. I was able to fool some of my classmates. I claim I was a martial art instructor, I was almost kidnapped in front of a police station, and that I was a survivor of cancer. So which was the lie.... I have never had cancer. In fact, I'm not even a cancer. While most of my classmates, thought the first two seemed like obvious lies, the last one was much too heavy for anyone to lie about. Boy did they underestimated my shameless ways. My own mother thought, it was an abomination to lie about such a serious topic. I am however shameless about my lie and saw no harm in it because the truth came out in the end. I did however, learned that there is more to it the lesson plans that what I gathered in class. Lying is the easy part, being able to live with it is the difficult part. Therefore, when presenting your designs before your audience, chose your words well, and be sure to be able to live to them.
The other exercise worked on our storytelling ability. we only had a few sentence to tell a story about our thanksgiving weekend. In a few sentence I told my story: We had our Thanksgiving meal, that my mother made. She was sick when she cooked it. Today I woke up with a sore throat. It was not the most amusing story, or the most impressive one. Therefore, I need more practice in my story telling.

That was what my last monday of class was like. I had so much fun lying to you all, that I came up with another fun multiple choice test. It wont be the same as me telling the lies to you directly, but feel free to try to guess my lie.

1. I was once suspended from school for stabing a classmate with a pencil
2. I finch at the expression "pulling teeth because I had mine pulled when I was four.
3. I once shot down an entire hospital all by myself.


Can you guess my lie?

3 comments:

  1. It's harder to tell which one is the lie because we have no way of seeing your facial expression or body language and sometimes that gives away the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lie is the hird one I once shot down an entire hospital by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you lie so Badly. LoL, I strongly feel that it's the 3rd. Good on Your Finals

    ReplyDelete