Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cynthia Murnane's Spot Light Review

Last Thursday's class was extended due to a special guest speaker, Cynthia Murnane. Murnane serves as a founder and creative director for Magnitude. In addition, she has spent many of her career years in different locations, such as San Fransisco, New York, and Los Angeles. Ideally, speakers with her experience are invited to speak to the (graphic designer) students, and inspire with their wisdom and passion for their profession. I wish I could say that I was one of those students. Truth be told, it was the longest two hours I have endure. Being in school for 15 hours, not only worn me out, but it made so difficult to pay heed to anything she had to say. what most got in my way, I was feeling completely defeated, and anything that she had to say my ego would not listen to. However, I did manage to listen to four important highlights.
The first of her highlights was, and I quote "Who's Your Daddy?". While humorous, it brings an vital piece of advise for young designers to be to consider. It refers to having a mentor, someone to guide you into the complex world of graphic design. As a student I could use all the help I can get, but most recently I have encounter difficulties. I have had difficulty interacting and sharing my thoughts and problems with those around me, especially with teachers. While I appreciate advise and guidance, I will ultimately end up doing what ever it is decide to do at that given time. The second piece of advise was "obey the food chain". As designers students, we are as low as you can get in the chain. Therefore, our survival in the real world usually means making a few trips to Starbucks, and doing the tedious jobs that no one wants to do. The third piece of advise she offered was "Deny the Lizard Brain". This one confused me until she explain the small part of out brain that has the need to scamper away in fear. I am shame to admit, that I have yet to deny that part of my brain. Emotions run my life, and sadly fear is a dictator. One of my biggest fears is not getting over my fear in time. The last of her highlights was "Find Your Euphoria". In other words, Find your passion. This is most difficult, because its a question everyone changes, and so does our passions. If we choose one passion, will that mean we have to spend the rest of our lives with this passion. The though of a long term commitment, while stable it might be, can be terrifying. Human begins cannot make a commitment to one another, let alone to a passions. Sometimes I wonder, why am I doing this for? And its scares me to say ... I don't know.
Once again, I became intimidated by someone who was once in my shoes. While I take comfort in knowing that every great designer started out the same way as any art student, I also fear not being able to reach their level of success. Although I do not thrived to have my own business or work in in a huge multi-billion dollar company, I want to be successful. Despite my intimidation issues, I want to take what Murnane said to us last Thursday. I just hope that I'll be smart enough to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment